Easy Ways To Manage Your Back Pain

Search for a specialty

Bariatric Surgery: Fighting Obesity Made Easier

Bariatric surgery is not a single procedure but a variety of procedures that aim at reducing the patient’s appetite by removing a part of their stomach or binding it together. We will read about all these procedures later but first, let us try to understand why the procedure needs to be performed in the first place.

Obesity is a term that is as common as its relevance in today’s world. It is the leading cause of concern for people nowadays as it has a wide range of health issues associated, some of which can even prove to be life-threatening in the long run. Obesity accounts for nearly 2.8 million deaths annually and this is quite alarming. The problem can be hereditary, a result of unhealthy eating and lifestyle habits or an underlying disease or the side effect of some medication.

Although obesity is a serious problem, it is possible to get rid of it. Diet and active lifestyle do help but it may take up to years to reduce weight in this way. Bariatric surgeries, on the other hand, help you to lose weight instantly and the changes are evident within a month or two. Bariatric surgery in India is offered at all the leading hospitals and if you are planning to consult a specialist for the same, Finding Doc is your ultimate destination.

Types of bariatric surgery Bariatric surgery cost in Noida - finding doc

Four different types of Bariatric surgeries that are quite popular nowadays are as under:

  • Adjustable gastric band (AGB)
  • Vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG)
  • Biliopancreatic diversions with a duodenal switch (BPD-DS)

Adjustable gastric band (AGB)

Commonly known as a lap band or A-band, AGB is a special, inflatable device made up of silicon. The band is introduced inside the patient’s body via very small incisions and placed around the top part of the patient’s stomach. This helps to reduce the size of the patient’s stomach which in turn helps to cut down on the consumption of food by decreasing appetite. Whether you are the right candidate for the surgery or not is decided by your doctor after going through your medical history and conducting some tests. The surgery is usually performed on people with a BMI of more than 40.

Patients normally lose 0.5 to 1.0 kg on a weekly basis and can lose around 50 to 60 per cent of excess body weight. This also helps to resolve weight-related problems like hypertension and diabetes.

Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB)

The procedure involves the creation of a smaller pouch in the stomach and attaching it to the small intestine, thereby bypassing a large part of the abdomen or even the intestines in some of the cases. This not only helps to reduce extra body weight but also alleviates the risks of serious problems related to diabetes, stroke, infertility, cholesterol and sleep apnea.

Eligibility criteria for the surgery include a BMI of more than 40 in normal cases and between 35 and 49.9 in case the patient is experiencing serious weight-related health problems.

Vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG)

The procedure involves the removal of a large section of the stomach, leaving behind a tubular or sleeve-like portion, via keyhole incisions. Removal of the stomach helps to reduce the production of ghrelin. Bariatric sleeve gastrectomy in Delhi is quite popular.

Biliopancreatic diversions with a duodenal switch (BPD-DS)

The procedure involves the removal of almost 80 per cent of the patient’s stomach and intestine and attaching the remaining 20 percent. It is usually performed as two separate procedures but can be performed as a single procedure as well.

Bariatric surgery cost in Delhi is comparatively cheaper than other places, making it one of the best places to get the procedure done.

After the surgery

After the surgery, you can notice a considerable change in your body within a few weeks. Patients are required to take complete rest and abstain from lifting heavy objects or indulging in rigorous activities. You are also required to follow a specially formulated diet plan. The procedure can help you to lose weight but this does not mean that you have to rely on the surgery alone. Indulge in mild physical activities and increase the intensity gradually.

Make sure you visit your doctor on a regular basis to avoid any unnecessary complication.